12 May 2014
- I will go to the party next week.
- will go
- future tense
- auxiliary “will” + present tense
- stating schedule
- He has been sleeping for nine hours.
- has been sleeping
- present progressive tense
- has been + present participle “sleeping”
- indicate an action that is started in the past and is continued
- You can leave after the test.
- can leave
- present perfect
- can + past tense of the verb “left”
- stating a practical suggestion
- She spoke to me about the party yesterday.
- past tense
- past tense of the verb “speak”
- reported speech
- Randall had flown in a plane only once before his trip last year.
- had flown
- past perfect tense
- had + past participle of the verb “fly” – flown
- describe a past action that was completed at a definite time.